Yeah, I know. It just hit you that Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Been there, done that. Thankfully, in my house we have a lot of latitude for that kind of forgetfulness and spontaneity is preferred and admired, and given all that experience with this unique situation, I've come up with a list of 5 unique ideas that might be a solution for you.
1. Time Travel. Well, your romantic version of it, at least. If you can, go back and tour the places where you met, where you went on your first date, where you got engaged or got married. Spend some time reminiscing about those days or events and talk about your favorite parts of those special occasions. Don't be afraid of a little pause and quiet. If you can't go back to all those places, just hit one special place and take some pictures or pull up some pictures on your phone. You can even go as far as to create an album just for Valentine's.
2. The Garden. The Atlanta area has some pretty amazing gardens! Check out Callaway Gardens at www.callawaygardens.com. Take a bike ride on the gorgeous trail that goes around the lake and don't miss the beautiful Butterfly Center. You can book a cabin. They even have live music Friday nights. If you don't want to travel that far, stay in Atlanta and hit the Atlanta Botanical Garden. It is always a beautiful, worthwhile trip. atlantabg.org
3. Wine Tasting...at home! Get dressed up, buy some different wines and light some candles and you are set.
4. Volunteer together. Are you avid animal enthusiasts? Volunteer at a local shelter this weekend together and enjoy giving back together. Nothing fosters love like giving!
Check out this site that has all different kinds of volunteer opportunities. https://www.volunteermatch.org
Every year there are special events during the Valentine's Day week, like Brawl for a Cause Saturday, the 17th, at 6 PM hosted by Friends To The Forlorn Pitbull Rescue · Dallas, GA. Check out their site at www.friendstotheforlorn.org/events/brawl-for-a-cause/
5. Fitness lovers have all different kinds of opportunities. From a Valentine's Day run with Go For Red 5K Run/Walk at Piedmont Park in Atlanta on Saturday at 9 AM or a Thai Bodywork & Partner Yoga Session on Saturday at 2:30 PM at Tough Love Yoga, in Atlanta, you are guaranteed to create a special memory.
There is also the Grant Park / Peoplestown / Summerhill Walking Tour & Picnic Sunday at 11:30 AM. If you prefer the free feeling of just going on a hike, try Red Top Mountain State Park or Kennesaw Mountain Park. All have a great trails to get you outside and enjoy some beautiful views.
Whatever you choose to do, have fun and enjoy the moment!